Monday, March 11, 2024

An Even Dozen, Maybe?

I submitted ten photographs this year to the NY Times Portfolio Review, just like I did the previous ten years. And just like those previous ten years, I thought I was submitting an invulnerable group of ten infallible images, each and every one a knockout, sure shot to success. It was only afterwards that I would admit that, well yeah, maybe there were one (or two) that I kinda threw in on a wing and a prayer. So this year I began editing early, carefully, extra carefully- one tight edit right on topic. Surely, they would now set this right, knowing how much this meant to me, realizing how wrong they had been before- no hard feelings, all would be forgiven. Finally, I'd get thrown a slice for 40+ years of image making! This was gonna be it, give it my Best shot, no second guessing, no regrets- full throttle I will not be denied

And uhhh... yeah, of course I was- again. 

I was right about one thing though- no regrets this time. This time I did give it my best, and why they couldn't find just one little slot in their list of one hundred fucking sixty- well, that's the one thing I would really like to know. Other than that, I took it pretty well; actually, better than I thought, and just went on with my day. Shit, people are being slaughtered and starved in at least two major conflicts half a world away- what the hell do I have to complain about! Seriously.

Anyway, here are the ten indomitable failures:

All Photos: © Stan Banos            1) Any Adult




2)  Trans Rights



3)  Abort Court



4) Protection



5)  Cap'n America



6)  Help



7)  MLK



8) Neither



9)  7X



10)  Declaration


So... that's it, right, Stan? No sense entering again next year, right? I mean what's the point? Ya gave it your best and...

True, true... but right now, I'm kinda thinking... just hit 'em with my Folsom Leather Street Fair dick pics from here on in, after all, they are my signature best- and who can resist that face:

BEACH BOY! 


No comments:

Post a Comment