Thursday, May 25, 2017

With Or Without

So... I've been photographing primarily in color for the past year and three months (after 40 years of B&W exclusivity) and although I still shoot film when I specifically want B&W, the thought occurred to me- how many of those photographs would not exist if it wasn't for the color, and how many are basically B&W photos with color thrown in? 

Gathering my 100 and change color keepers, I decided to have a go. How many owe their existence solely to the judicious and discriminating use of color? My suspicions were correct- not a helluva lot! The vast majority would still work sans their color genes- does that mark me a failure as a color photographer, or does it say that I can successfully facilitate the added info into my worldview. Offhand, I'd say a definite, yes, to the latter- a definite undecided on the former.

Anyway, here are the select few who probably would not exist, if not for their inherent color (and the one I had to decolorize for success)...


Photo: © S. Banos


 
Photo: © S. Banos


 
She can carry it any damn day w or w/o- but color definitely helps bring it!  Photo: © S. Banos



Photo: © S. Banos
Photo: © S. Banos







Guy walking on extreme left had very distracting lime green shirt. Photo: © S. Banos
 

No comments:

Post a Comment