Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Paul & Pearl

Photo: © Stan Banos

I see shit like this all the time. Yeah, I know- how can you be so cold, cruel, clinical? This scenario was less than a block away from work this Monday morning. And no, I don't always take a picture of these hapless individuals (perhaps I should to make it more 'democratic'). Fact is, I stopped for two reasons: a) it had a possible photo opportunity (there, I said it) and b) I feared she might be in the process of an OD, or... actually dead. After years of seeing people in like positions (practically daily), you get a sense as to which are just working it off, and those which just might be in trouble. This was such a singularly odd positioning however (ram rod straight, elbows bent as if in preparation of some perversely aberrant push up), I decided better safe than sorry. I approached, took the photo, called out (received no response), called out louder and gave her a nudge... Finally, movement as she repositioned herself; she's alive, don't have to call 911. I'm back on my way to work, where people with disabilities await.

FWIW, I've written extensively on the ethics of taking photographs of this type. Honestly, you can make a worthy argument either way. In short, the way I think- take it when in doubt, and then decide if it should see the light of day. Photographers are often told the adage that our work should encompass our everyday lives, I already ignore don't photograph 99% of the pain I see in these streets every day, wouldn't I be in complete denial if I didn't reveal at least a small percentage photographically?  

Editing the photo I get to thinking how this was someone's child, who laughed and had dreams while she too sat amongst her peers in grade school. Somehow, it went tragically, woefully wrong. And the streets throb with their presence...

3 comments:

  1. Sure glad we just sent 95 Billion dollars to Ukraine and Israel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I don't mind sending aid to a people whose civilians are being bombed and killed on a daily basis (Ukraine) and have never bothered anyone from the attacking country. I do have problems starting wars in countries that have never harmed us (eg- Viet Nam, Iraq, etc) and continuing to support countries that overstep their defensive posture and become aggressors themselves (Israel). It'd be nice if the money we're currently sending Ukraine would automatically be reconsigned to deal with our homeless population- unfortunately, that's never the case. Instead, it would most likely end up wasted or purloined elsewhere. In a country as prosperous as the USA, the money is always there; our military almost ALWAYS gets a bigger budget regardless, and even when we have 'no money' for education, housing and health, we never don't have the money for yet another war...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wanted to comment on the excellent post and powerful photo. If you ignore almost all of the pain, showing some allows you to be human. You're thoughtful as always. But now I need to perhaps borrow the phrase "countries that overstep their defensive posture and become aggressors themselves (Israel)."

    ReplyDelete