Monday, October 1, 2018

Dear BookWright...

 
Sorry guys- ya didn't make it, this cut.   Photo: © Stan Banos

I've begun putting together At The Fair- my photobook on the leather fairs in San Francisco. I'm happy to say that it's looking quite good! It's not that I ever doubted the photographs themselves, it's just that, well... after having them repeatedly rejected, over and over and over again- it was revelatory to see just how well they actually looked together! The book will be in two parts: eleven B&W photos followed by twenty one color. Yes, I think both mediums complement each other quite nicely; and why those particular numbers... why not? I could easily include more of each, or a more rounded number, or make it just color (of which I have more)- but this just seems to work nicely. 

Dealing with Blurb's bookmaking software called BookWright however has been a slightly different matter. Altogether, it's pretty damn decent... except that no matter what I've been able to do- I can't position each photograph in the exact same position on each page in a uniform manner! They're usually just a little bit... off! It hasn't seemed to matter all that much when I've gotten my previously made books in hand, but still- I don't think having a feature that can automatically lock equally sized images into the same position on successive pages is something so totally beyond today's digital realm. In fact, I would think it a necessity- it takes a helluva lot of needless time to try and center each and every one (they don't move about as seamlessly as one would hope using the margin rulers) on each and every page! 

So I sent an inquiry to Bookwright asking if I had missed something, done something wrong. No answer. So I sent another. No answer. So I was just about to send my congratulatory follow up below, when something called common sense whispered... not to, at least not until I finished, and had a copy or two. Cause something tells me, with my luck, that's the one they'd actually read, and actually respond to...

Dear BookWright,

Thank you for totally ignoring both of my inquiries regarding your book making software. With said track record, I know you won't mind my genuine non-gratitude in wishing you all to go FUCK URSELVES repeatedly, and since you'll no doubt ignore this as well (if anyone even takes the time to actually read any of these, so that they can, in fact, proceed to ignore them)... FUCK U again for good measure. 

Sincerely,
Stan Banos

No comments:

Post a Comment