Friday, February 1, 2019

My Hacked B&H Photo Account

So... I get a snail mail notice from FedEx asking if I'd made changes to my account. Odd, since I don't have a FedEx account. Called, verified, no account. Hhmmm...

Later that week, I'm paying my monthly AMEX, when I notice an order for- an 11in iPad Pro. Very odd- considering I never ordered any such thing! I go on my B&H account, see it had been shipped to my home address- and then intercepted by B&H in New Jersey, a half month prior via... FedEx!

B&H had known that my account and online info had been hacked and compromised- and they did nothing, as in absolutely nothing to notify me! You would think that they, that any legitimate business that had even the slightest pretense about caring for their customers, would notify them about such a potentially devastating breech! Nothing, nada, zip... They definitely made sure to do everything possible to make themselves whole- but pretty much left me to hang in the wind.

Changed my passwords, ordered a new AMEX card and spoke to B&H who said they have many problems with fraud, followed by much silence on their end of the phone before an admission that I did "seem to have a legitimate issue." Ultimately, someone "new" (don't ya know) got the blame; and honestly, since not a big customer, wasn't expecting much else, still... even a $25 discount on next purchase would have been a nice gesture towards saying- sorry, you had to cancel your AMEX card and have your private info exposed while we sat on it (like irresponsible assholes) and did... NOTHING!!!

Caveat emptor!

1 comment:

  1. July 30rd 2019 - I had exactly the same experience with B&H. And I didn't even have an account with them, I had only done few one-time purchases w/o registration.

    ReplyDelete