Thursday, February 27, 2020

Legacy Denied


Latest hard fought restoration*...                Photo: © Stan Banos

Perhaps the whole "LIFE LESSON" I was supposed to learn when my B&W negatives (which I so vainly tried to safeguard for prosperity) were so critically damaged (by my own hand no less) was... to chill my own ego. There is no such thing as legacy. Fair enough!

But given the choice: should my name live on- or the pictures themselves? Well, fuck my dumb ass name, and my lame ass life! I want a few choice images to live on- stolen moments of times worth living... frozen, celebrated and immortalized! People hence can imagine the life of the anonymous person(s) or circumstances behind the images, if they so choose- but the delight and 'glory' are in the images themselves. Generations from now, will people marvel at the similarities between their present day lives and those depicted from ever increasing years past? Or, as I fear, will they look upon them as testaments to a world, a life once resplendent in the wide diversity of all it's wonders and everyday occurrences, both celebratory and tragic, natural and man made...

*Hard as this one was, I'm trying to psyche myself up for the next (one of my fave B&W images) which will no doubt take months to accomplish in my spare time (though probably just a coupla days- for someone well versed in digital restoration). Which is why I often defer to the lower hanging fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment