Monday, January 11, 2021

A New Me?

Every once in a while (like this time of year), I start thinking of getting new editing software, proper software, grown up software- like the adults have (instead of the adolescent version I currently own, Elements 9 that came bundled with the computer back in the day). This most recently became apparent with the 2020 billboard photo I took recently- a backlit challenge (to say the least), that I've painstakingly improved considerably since first posting (even if the seams are still showing)...

Now, I'm not gonna subscribe to the cloud; shit, I don't even have cable. Capture One can be bought outright and is supposedly quite good, but am I gonna shell out $300 for the 10% of the pictures that me and my Elements have trouble handling? And whenever I do (attempt to) try a new software on a trial basis, just thinking of the heartache, trial and error involved in the learning curve alone induces catatonic shock! Besides, if I go the high end editing route, I'm then obligated to get a Q, a new wardrobe and a new job just to match and support my new lifestyle. You see where this road leads...

Is there a self help group for this?

2 comments:

  1. Stan, Just reading through your blog. I think that I found it via The Online Photographer. I find it uncanny the extent to which we share political and other views (such as the lack of privacy). Reading through this has been very enjoyable.

    I must admit that I need a different support group. I have Phothshop (since 5.5), Lightroom, Capture One, Affinity, two versions of Luminar, Topaz, Gimp, Pixelmator... I used to be fairly handy in Photoshop and I don't completely suck with Lightroom. I somehow haven't used any of the others enough to get good enough with any one of them to make the switch the switch from Adobe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow- that's an impressive line up, nonetheless! I really should man up and make the jump, but even in my utterly boring life, I simply don't have the time, energy or will power. Maybe, when I 'retire,' and win the Pulitzer...

    ReplyDelete