Thursday, April 15, 2021

Fujifilm 18mm f1.4


Been waiting for a Fuji 18mm update for years, though I always knew, I probably wouldn't get it because most likely it would be: too big, too heavy and too expensive. The current 18mm f2 Fujinon (cute little pancake that it is) is way mediocre- sharp in center, mush in the corners and chromatic aberration up the wazoo. How it's costs $600 New just adds to the insanity.
Sometimes it gets outta the way despite itself and makes the shot, other times... I'd happily pay $750 for a new and improved f2 at twice the size, instead of this bloated, 3X the size and weight 1.4.

I told myself if the f1.4 came in at a 58mm filter size- I was in; at 62mm, it just crosses my size threshold (no matter how many times they tell us how small and light it is), though make no doubt- I still lust for its image quality. If I were to do a particular long term project where I'd really need a 28mm equivalent, I'd pull the trigger. Meanwhile, I'll just make do with the roll the dice pancake, and fortunately... I also have a very high quality 18mm lens in my everyday 2.8 Ricoh GR.

No comments:

Post a Comment