Thursday, January 27, 2022

To Be, Or...


Photo: © Stan Banos**
 
 
Last weekend, I attended the Right To Life rally in San Francisco. I went there solely for the possible photographic opportunity, and I was rewarded with my one. Full disclosure- I was actually pretty anti abortion when I was younger- yeah, you could say that 12 years of Catholic schooling had something to do with it (probably the last vestige of Catholicism I shed). When I began to more closely examine those on either side, I rather quickly realized that I had a (whole) lot more in common with those who were Pro-choice, than the other side.* Why was that? I then gradually evolved the position that I've held to this day- abortion's one pretty nasty thing (to say the very least), but as long as women choose to have one (and it is their choice), then it should be as safe as medically possible. I also think that they should be properly informed (ie- not indoctrinated or browbeaten) of all possible choices/alternatives before getting one- again, the actual choice being most certainly the woman's prerogative. Too many woman have died needlessly painful deaths at the hands of incompetents throughout history, a history that cannot be allowed to repeat.


*I honestly think (most) anti-abortionists have their heart in the right place- just that it's fixated in-that-one-place. Once that baby is born (of their will and legislation), most wash their hands of any responsibility faster that Pontius Pilate in Olde Judea Towne! In fact, many willingly endorse laws and policies that will directly contribute to that child (particularly those of color) growing up with predictably subpar: housing, food, healthcare, schooling, environment and every other opportunity necessary for a decent life's outcome. Many end up in the criminal justice system, and those pro-lifers are the first to scream death penalty! Mission accomplished?

Must be said, what was also rather unsettling to see in that crowd was so many clergy (eg- priests, monks, brothers, sisters) of all Catholic denominations (eg- Dominicans, Franciscans, Jesuits, etc) most of them so ridiculously young (early twenties) and can't help but say... incredibly nerdy looking- all enthusiastically ambling about in their capes and robes like teenage Cosplay fans, looking for all the world as if they had the collective maturity and life experience of a twelve year old! Where are these young enthusiasts when it comes to rallies trying to save the very planet their entire flock toils upon?

** It's curious, whenever one sees a child participating at a demonstration or march to which one is aligned- one's initial thought is anywhere between how they're so cute, to how truly well informed and brought up they are by such wonderfully concerned and devoted parents. When it's a child of an opposing group, we automatically think of how abused and brainwashed that poor child is!

I've never really concerned myself with the thought of photographing famous people although I would love to take Greta Thunberg's portrait, what possesses a child of fifteen to realize the one basic truth that somehow escapes the vast majority of adults- that climate change has doomed our entire planet as we know it? Hard to believe she is now nineteen...

This little girl brought her to mind, though they likely started at opposite sides of the political spectrum on more than one topic- granted, I would most certainly hate to be remembered for my beliefs ("political" or otherwise) at her tender age.

No comments:

Post a Comment