Tuesday, February 15, 2022

The Laws of Physics

Photo: © Stan Banos

So I got myself two disparate, potential keepers this past weekend and once again managed to delightfully neither know, nor care who was playing or winning in the Superbowl. And it was certainly nice to see people out and about again on an abnormally warm, spring climate change of a day casually walking about Golden Gate Park. On my way home I managed to gingerly step upon a wooden board on a sidewalk corner atop some uneven cobblestones, and the damn thing slipped liked quicksilver from under me, went flying forward about five feet like a runaway skateboard and I ended up squarely flat on my ass before I knew how any of it happened. I was fortunately able to soften the fall by extending my left hand- I didn't actually have the time to think of doing that, it was a simple reflex action governed by the sheer physics of the situation. Had I had been falling to my right, my trusty GR held in my right hand would have been flattened into a small shattered mass of broken plastic, glass and... what is it now, "a magnesium/aluminum alloy?"

No harm, no foul, I dusted myself off and proceeded to do the laundry upon arrival. When the GR3 came out and I saw its $900 price tag, I rather wisely began the hunt and landed a rather minty, used GR for $350- it's patiently waiting in the wings for when the physics even out. As it inevitably will...

Photo: © Stan Banos

No comments:

Post a Comment