Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Addicted...

It's just... so-goddang-sexy!
 

I've had this love/hate thing going on with the Leica Q for years now- came this close to pulling the trigger on the damn thing just the other day (a used one in primo cond at a good price). Really, really... close. Looked at the damn thing on eBay for five days straight hoping someone, anyone would buy it and put me outta my misery. It's an absolutely stunning looking camera capable of producing absolutely stunning results- and I love the 28mm focal length (particularly for color). It would be my first (and only) entry venture into the Leica universe of veblen goods. So why don't I just break down, put down and get it over with? I know I want it!

Well... A coupla things, even $2,500+ is quite a vacation in and of itself with the promise of many a photo op with my current equipment- which by the way, serves me just fine with a 14mm on a Fuji X-T* and the 18mm on my GR** (2 light, compact and capable performers w/very fine optics indeed). Despite the lack of an EVF, the GR's stealth for everyday has netted me shots I wouldn't have ordinarily managed; in my jacket pocket, or in my hand, it's just there- unnoticed and unencumbered... till ya need it; then it can be pretty fast and nimble indeed, with results that punch far above its (lack of) size and weight. It was actually hard for me to take it seriously at first- the results just kept saying otherwise! Why would I be so willing to replace the one camera that has netted me the most keepers in my lifetime? The Q's EVF would be a most welcomed asset when covering an event since the 18mm f2 Fujinon pancake*** is probably the worst lens in their system- but a very expensive, seldom used asset at that since I mainly use the 14 (21mm~e) on those occasions.

Would I love having one? Absolutely. Would I take it out every day? Shit, I'd be terrified of dropping it, scratching it, attracting veblen thieves with it, and... taking pictures (FF, no less) not worthy of the mandatory Leica fame and glory! The pressure alone would reduce me to a quivering mess, and although the results would definitely have higher IQ, my hit rate would be no higher than with a Fuji. So why would I possibly want or need a Q? See caption above...

 

Event photos approx 10:1 (21~e to 28mm~e)          GR Photo:  © Stan Banos
         

*Got an X-T1 and a recently purchased Like New X-T2 ($550).
**Did I mention I already got a 2nd Mint GR
($350) waiting in the wings since the GR3 launched?
***Yeah, the new Fuji 18mm f1.4 is phenomenal optically but one Big Bloat in terms of size (and price).

No comments:

Post a Comment