Friday, March 1, 2024

Stand Off

Photo: © Stan Banos

Fortunately, we've had our fair share of weather this winter- fortunate in light of the years of drought we've had. Doesn't make for a host of picture taking opportunities though, bad enough here on good days with hardly a soul ambling about the streets of San Francisco anymore. One weekend I was fortunate to view two really good flicks in a proper movie theater, but this past Presidents' Day weekend, there was nothing on the menu via entertainment and it rained every day. So I forced myself to do what I had been putting off for some time and started consolidating my digital files for posterity, which included burning them on gold DVD-R discs. Actually, I had done this as recently as 2 yrs ago, but I had gradually reedited so many of my files, I really needed to update since I've continued to improve my editing skills (now in color) with my state of the art Elements 9 Photoshop. Yeah, yeah- I know, I know... I really need to dispense with that toy editing software, man up, put on my big boy pants and buy Lightroom, Capture One or whatever- I get it!. And that's exactly what I plan to do in a year and two thirds when I retire... maybe (I just dread the fact that it'll then take me at least a year and a half to familiarize myself with the subtleties of the program, and a whole 'nother year and a half to 'master' it- and then go back and reedit that last three years work to finally begin to get it right... Lawdy, lawdy!

Anyway, one of the nice things that occurred was finding the discarded image above taken that very first Summer of Covid back in 2020 in NYC. I had dismissed it then as not very much. And while it may still remain and forever be just that, it now seems to so perfectly encapsulate and remind one of that peak period of time when the whole world seemed so very stand-offishly beyond the perimeter.

No comments:

Post a Comment