Friday, April 13, 2018

Virtual Hell!!!

Photo: © Stan Banos

It hadn't happened in a while, in fact, I was thinking about it just the other day- no major computer trauma in what... over a year!? That's a nice run of peace and sanity, so it was just bound to snap, bound to come crashing down from the very depths of hell and torment that it most surely presides over. And sure enough...

I opened a particular folder and clicked on a small photo icon in my Windows photo organizer (never, ever a problem there... ever- but then, why should there be?), instead- the next photo in line comes up, a photo that I now notice has completely disappeared from the icons altogether!?!?!?!? And yet, it appears from the ether, The same scenario with the next few icons in line, click on one- the next one shows up... What The!!! So...I rename the two or three to fix things up- but uh-uh... they see what I'm up to; and they ain't having it!

OK, so hard ball is what they want- hard ball is what they're gonna get!!! I open up Photoshop (OK, OK- it's only Elements 9)- and I'm gonna import and rename them from there and show them whose really running the show- and... my whole PS layout is completely altered! What The... X2!!!

This is when it happens- this overwhelming rage of complete and utter helplessness just engulfs and consumes me to the point where I just wanna (should I even say this?)... CRY!!! It's just so incredibly unjust and emasculating to kneecap me on the very thing I most know NOTHING about, am most helpless about!!! Computer disasters often involve that which I can't even begin to formulate the very questions needed to begin explaining, let alone solving...

So, several deep breaths (minus any tears) later, I begin to ever so slowly relearn how to reconfigure my PS layout to where it was (more or less) and then begin to import and rename the files in that folder. Ultimately, even that didn't work- so I had to delete the folder altogether and remake the dozen low res copies anew... A pain in the ass, but far from life altering.

Fortunately, there doesn't seem to be anything else wrong with the computer at large, and that is a major relief- as well as, yet another added note of mystery...

5 comments:

  1. Do a scandisk and a defrag ASAP! Could be your drive is on it's last legs and will start to eat your files before totally giving up. I trust you have everything backed up to a separate external drive. If you don't go out and buy one today! And backup. Today!

    My way of working with a PC machine is to only have the images I am working on right now on the PC hard drive. The original files are on a backup drive external to the PC. Once I am finished with the file the newly created work of art is saved to backup drive number 1 and to a separate backup drive number 2. Number 2 only has finished files on it. Usually the PSD version and the final jpg/tiff/png whatever I needed to save it as. Drives number 1 and 2 are further backed up to a cloud drive I have.

    You may think that's over the top but believe me it's saved my bacon a number of times. I only went to this system of recovery and backup after a couple of catastrophic drive crashes. External 1T drives are cheap now. My peace of mind is worth the extra expense and time.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, got all the important files backed up on a separate 1T hard drive- like ya said, they're cheap these days, so no excuse. Also bought a bunch of gold discs about a year ago, put some of my B&W stuff on 'em, but haven't touched since- this should provide the needed impetus to continue...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can U believe I got an advert for some super HP Back up data device just from this post? No, I'm not FB; and not that I'm shocked- but if there's any doubt of how they own us...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny, how no one yells... CONSPIRACY Theory!!!

    ReplyDelete