Sunday, November 4, 2018

Garry Winogrand: All Things Are Photographable

The one, the only, Gary Winogrand (with the picture sent from God).

I had pretty much given up on ever catching this, started to think I just dreamt it up- so I did quite the double take when I rechecked the week's meager movie offerings just before I was about to call it a wash. And there it was...

I'm old enough to have caught the master doing his little dance on 57st and 5th on a coupla occasions, methodically moving in and out of humanity's flow. And I've always found it a joy to view his photographs, masterful combinations of humor, subtlety and directness that they are. He brought the (street) game up a whole 'nother level- both in terms of quality and quantity. I had thought him rather coy and flippant when discussing photography, in retrospect, he strikes me as disarmingly honest, with a definitely unusual directness...

As for the film itself... can't say it was a great doc, or that I learned anything particularly insightful. They talked about his personal life, Women Are Beautiful and the latter years of shooting "blind" and at a distance, amongst other things. Perhaps I already know as much as I need- he took some really incredible photos... lot's of 'em!

No comments:

Post a Comment