Tuesday, March 23, 2021

A Rose By Any Other Name


Photo: © Stan Banos


Most graffiti can be categorized as lamentable attempts at public self aggrandizement; some of it irritating, most of it forgettable, an infinitesimally small amount... very good indeed. Although, I will forever remember entire trains of it magically whizzing by on the elevated train tracks of '70's NYC- an IRT, LSD like spectacle of nearly daily occurrence in broad daylight. 

I like incorporating graffiti into photographs whenever possible- particularly when it has something to say: political, philosophical, comedic. This caught my attention immediately, and I almost dismissed it just as quickly. Misogynistic objectification... right? Wait up- the wording reads... empowerment! Raising it to the god level, the very genesis of creation itself! Where would most of us be without it?

But don't take my word for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment