Monday, August 22, 2022

Cali Dream Deferred?


No argument there...   Photo: © Stan Banos


San Francisco once seemed an exotic faraway destiny when I lived in New York, not quite wholly American, like... New Orleans- some innately elusive, foreign aura. Hard to believe I've now lived here some twenty odd year and seen it go through some pretty profound changes- the majority not for the better. Homelessness was always a problem, but it metastasized exponentially during Covid to the present day. Coming from New York I didn't fear walking any 
street here in any neighborhood, now I most definitely avoid certain streets- and it's not so much because of the plethora of mentally ill, drug addicted, shadows of humanity that lurk about, as it is: the filth and feces, the dilapidated tents blocking entire sidewalks, the sheer... stench! Mission St between 5th and 9th streets is a zombie nation unto itself, full of the walking wounded, many of them in various states of nodding off in place, looking for all the world more sculpture than human, melting in the not so setting sun.

On days when I'm running late, and don't have the time to: avoid, walk around, and detour... I take the bus, and directly below its window on the same street that James Nachtwey photographed his San Francisco portion of the opioid crisis, I see the entire sidewalk unsteadily emerging to greet the new day with its first hit- needles, pipes, aluminum foil and lighters all at the ready. This video taken in Philly gives you the basic feel, which is again replicated in Skid Row, Los Angeles, as well as several other American cities.

Experiencing this daily, gradually and inevitably exacts its toll in a myriad of ways, and as I've stated countless times before, I at least have a place to call home at day's end. How much longer do I stay here? At least till seventy when I get the extra SS dough- this soon to be sixty-seven year old ain't starting anew somewhere else in a blue vest, proclaiming: "Hello, and welcome to..." And there ain't too many walkable cities in the US of A, something I consider mandatory- certainly wouldn't mind spending the rest of my days in London, but don't think I've caught the queen's fancy as of yet.

Meanwhile, San Francisco it is- and it still does have its relative strengths, and yes, even beauty. Where else within a seven mile long and seven mile wide stretch of humanity can one get such disparate views of existence as seen on the opposite ends of this post?

SF Americana, '22   Photo: © Stan Banos


No comments:

Post a Comment