Sunday, August 14, 2022

Dream Camera Deferred

Somewhat cleaned up tribute to Joel's Cape Light.  Photo: © Stan Banos  


I recently purchased my 'dream' camera, a used but well preserved Leica Q at half price (cleaned and serviced by Leica Japan), and had to return it after a week because of a smudge on the sensor on the upper left hand side- like right where the sky goes on landscapes! At 100% it was a darkened irregular oval, an ill defined stain about an inch in diameter that was just a major pain in the ass to photoshop evenly and invisibly, exactly where most obvious. It seemed more the result of direct contact with the sensor from a contaminated surface (finger?) than actual dust, which is usually smaller and more well defined. Map Camera in Japan accepted the return and paid for return shipping with the option of buying once again when properly (re)cleaned by Leica Japan (if possible), or purchasing another, once available... Pretty classy resolution- their very positive feedback seems well earned!

I was negotiating with them for a week on how to handle the situation, feeling them out, expecting the worst, and I must say that thus far, Map Camera has come out as exemplary! No, I haven't got my money back as of yet, but then, they haven't gotten their camera back just yet (currently in transit)- I just don't see them stabbing me in the back at this point, and again, must heartily recommend their customer service.

The Q ain't nirvana, but if you're a 28mm fan (as am I) it most certainly has its strengths: ergonomics, build quality, styling- and the IQ is a noticeable (but certainly not astronomical) step up from my trusty, punch above its weight GR. Sometimes, I just get the feeling that this was Leica's way of telling me to... know thy place.

No comments:

Post a Comment