Thursday, February 1, 2024

If I Was Starting Anew...

If I was starting anew in 2024 instead of 2016 when I first started shooting digital, what changes, if any would I make gear wise? Well, I'm quite satisfied at present with my: (all Used) Fujifilm X-T1 and X-T2, Ricoh GR and Leica Q. If I was to outfit myself today however, what I might very well choose is: a (Used) FF Sony of some particular number/letter designation for my modest needs, along with their 28mm Sony,* the new Viltrox 20mm, and a 40mm of some sort whenever the need would arise (ie- portraits), along with the GR, natch.

Advantages: use of one body only for all three lenses mentioned- and faster, more accurate, more reliable autofocus than my Fuji's! Disadvantages: the compact Viltrox would not quite match the IQ of the superior 14mm (21 equivalent) Fujinon- and that would be the deal breaker, all depending on how big the difference. Of course, one can not possibly complain about a $150 lens that punches well above it's weight, but it's optical performance would ultimately determine if I would go the Sony route. I would miss using the Q, but the 28 Sony should come through and make that relatively... irrelevant (and cost effective)!

As is, I'm good- with no right to complain!

*The Fuijinon f2 18mm pancake (28mm equivalent) is not very good optically save for the center, and their excellent premium 1.4 is just too damn big (and expensive) for my liking.

No comments:

Post a Comment