Thursday, February 15, 2024

Passing Time- Sage Sohier

Photo: © Sage Sohier

One of the things I enjoy most is 'discovering' a photographer I knew nothing about, a photographer whose work is exemplary, the kind that makes you say "Wow, just... Wow!" It's an unlikely occurrence for sure, exactly why it's such a rare and treasured occasion- like when I first saw Sage Sohier's work.*

I've seen the subject matter portrayed in Passing Time before, very well executed before, photographers such as: Shelby Lee Adams, Mark Steinmetz, Milton Rogovin, Larry Fink, Thomas Roma and several others come to mind. And yet, anyone who's actually tried to photograph these (very) common day, yet surprisingly intimate moments, and make them look as graphically and visually interesting, knows just how hard (and perplexing) that can be. There's even a shade of Martin Parr's Last Resort in Passing Time, that story within a story within each section of the frame, the complexity of which not even he could maintain after that particular body of work. And that's just part of what makes these particular images so intriguing, the other being the myriad of social interactions that help connect, contrast and energize those pictured throughout the composition. If I could take a picture as good as the boom box suitor and the contemplative apple of his eye, I could hang up my camera with the realization that I had indeed put it to some good use. 

*Actually, I had seen her work some time before, and just happened to (most ashamedly) forget her name; fortunately, I was recently reintroduced to her upon first seeing Passing Time on  Lenscratch.

No comments:

Post a Comment