Monday, December 16, 2019

All Seeing Baby Cop

Not too many things make me "happy" these days in San Francisco, there's JR's still ongoing exhibit- and then there's... "Baby with a Handgun." Completed just days ago, it's truly ginormous, and what I love about it most is that it can be interpreted in oh so many ways- while still bringing a smile to your face.

Photo: © Stan Banos (click to embiggen)

Naturally, I wanted to incorporate it into a photo, so I started exploring it from different angles just to get a feel. At first I got as close as possible, while still being able to include surrounding details, but resigned myself to the wisdom that it would probably take months before I got lucky. On my way home the other afternoon however, I decided to check out the perspective a bit further back, noticed some activity going on between the phalanx of cars in the foreground and all seeing baby cop towering in the back. I really couldn't make out what was going on in the tiny view screen of my GR, but lined it up best I could and shot a few rounds, if only for practice and reference. Sometimes ya just get lucky with this camera...

And the GR came through yet again, producing a file crisp and clean enough to draw notice to the small human figures subtly interacting and drawing back and foreground together. A nice surprise after weeks of running on empty... It's also eerily reminiscent of many a perspective controlled land and cityscape carefully shot with a view camera in many a contemporary photobook essay.

I started growing concerned about my aging GR; the new Super Duper GRIII goes for... $900!. No doubt it's plenty fine, but after biding my time, snagged another used original for $320. Seems in very decent condition, and will be testing during week. Upgrading's cool when ya have the dough, but it's always a tad ironic seeing so many videos showcasing masses of wholesale mediocrity produced with the utmost premium equipment... I may not be able to afford the latest and greatest, but at least I'm afforded an excuse when I don't come up with the goods.*
*Or so I'll tell anyone that listens...

No comments:

Post a Comment