Friday, April 17, 2020

Whiling Away The Hours, Days, Nights, Weeks, Mo...

 
The now requisite empty Covid street scene...  Photo: © Stan Banos

So...What you been doing of recent? Tiger King already seems like a full pandemic ago. I was already living in semi-suspended animation since the wife split of late, but this extended shelter in place business has taken it to a whole 'nother dimension of stagnant unreality. Still, I've only remained completely sequestered two days thus far- have to get out to stretch the legs and get some fresh air (and when really lucky, smoke one of my few remaining cigars). I only wear a mask when on the bus, working with my client, or food shopping. And I've been trying to get some photos but, as previously alluded to... fewer people = slimmer pickings. 

Obviously, this is a good time to play catch up- and that's a good part of exactly what I've been up to. So at various times you'll find me: restoring my damaged negs (would take a coupla pandemics just to finish that), scanning yet to be edited panoramic negs from my old Widelux, and attempting to catalog my negs (damaged and undamaged) into some small modicum of semi orderliness. On some nights, I've been up to the late wee hours of the morn doing the first on said list.

For down time, I've been trying to make some kinda headway on American Witness, and the third season of Ozark was a particularly guilty pleasure. And then there's... YouTube- that inexorable rabbit hole of infotainment, cheap thrills and lost time extraordinaire. If that ain't the exact formula for what's needed most right now, don't know what is. These past weeks I've witnessed: various solids getting squished in a hydraulic press, sperm whales sleeping vertically(!), ghost town views of Rome and NYC, 'vintage' championship boxing matches from lightweight to heavy, con artist martial artist 'masters' exposed and beat down, body building steroid freaks, the origins of Nazi Fanta soda, Japanese trying to pass as Chicanos y Chicanas (or Germans as Indians), and I finally (finally) know why White Castle isn't a national, worldwide franchise! Speaking of franchises, if all that doesn't constitute a  professorship level of knowledge at any Trump University branch near you- don't know what does...

And lord knows I shouldn't complain since I am (probably) healthy, and one of the impoverished few, lucky enough to still be getting paid- thank you, UNION (SEIU 1021); but boy, gosh, golly- do I miss a good cappuccino! Get Well, NYC...

2 comments:

  1. "but boy, gosh, golly- do I miss a good cappuccino!"-- no kidding! Recently widowed, my daily extravagance was an afternoon cappuccino-and-human-watching session at my local coffee bar. Now I just drink too much coffee at home. Life throws some weird stuff at us.

    ReplyDelete