Friday, October 1, 2021

John Alinder Portraits 1910-23

This is the exact 'book review' I didn't want to write. I'm vastly disappointed with John Alinder Portraits 1910-23. I pretty much expected the book reproductions to be (semi) matte, what I truly feared however, was exactly what was  delivered, an even further limited tonal range- in this case, about Three Shades of Grey (OK, I exaggerate- four). It "serves" to inhibit, drain, and suck all the life out of Alinder's subjects, and the portraits themselves. I'm going to assume the original prints walk that fine, subtle line where the total values are just expansive enough to allow the subjects enough breathing room to hint at their inner lives (which his portraits most definitely celebrate). 

That said, I suppose there are those where the flat matte just ain't gonna matter none- wish I were one...

No comments:

Post a Comment