Tuesday, October 26, 2021

The Picture Not Taken

There’s a sudden flurry of action from the corner of my eye, so quick, in fact, that I’m thinking something of a violent nature. I’m apparently unscathed, so I start to look about for the cause... nothing! No sign of anything!?! Midday hallucination? I repeat the process, this time I avert my attention downwards- and right smack in the middle of Market St. (San Francisco’s main drag), there’s this hawk, falcon, large bird of prey standing atop a pigeon whose wings have now gone suddenly dead still. In fact, neither of them  are moving a muscle. No cars in sight, the only sound and movement from passing female tourists freaking out from what they’ve just witnessed.

And the bird of prey just stands, still as still can possibly be, meal beneath its feet, as if to say- “It’s what I do- what of it?” And I can see the picture clearly, dramatic close up of bird(s) in foreground, shocked, gasping tourists pointing from the back. And just as quickly, I repocket said camera, knowing full well that Mr. Hawk is not gonna allow his wide angle, Hollywood  close up, no way, no how. And upon that realization, the predator lifts directly skyward, prey securely grasped, tourist shrieks echoing anew...

No comments:

Post a Comment