Thursday, October 7, 2021

One... Two

Well, had been contemplating this for some years now, just didn't have the necessary motivation- until a coupla weeks ago. Although I've been perfectly satisfied with the X-T1's image quality, I had long noticed that every once in a while, my X-T1 would not focus properly- even in direct sunlight! It never cost me a shot I really liked- again, until a coupla weeks ago. It's one thing if I screw up a shot (that's bad enough)- but I can't tolerate the camera doing it, particularly since I don't tax them to the max with Boost mode, video, continuous focus, blah, blah, blah... I just want it to work as advertised, as promised, when I press the shutter for that one shot. And if it can't do that...

Fujifilm X-T2

At first, I thought it might've missed focus because, well- I did drop it once (even though it came out completely unscathed, save for the tiniest of scratches on the LCD film shield. But then I noticed that my other X-T1 behaved similarly- intolerable! So I finally pulled the trigger and got me a Mint Cond X-T2 for $600. And let me tell ya, you coulda put this body in a brand new box and I never would have noticed that it wasn't Brand New.

I trust that all the five year old reviews are correct about it's improved AF (even though I'm not even gonna use all it's fancy focusing options), since I have yet to put it through its paces, and might not have real occasion to do so until next year. But the camera does feel a slight step up in build quality, not quite a Nikkormat to an F solid step up, but definitely a good half step up. Love the oversized dials, and it does feel a tad sturdier, heftier, better made, but hell- I just want it to focus where I point it! If it works out, I’d probably be smart to pick up another some time soon at these prices, since it’s already more camera than I’ll ever need and I definitely don’t aspire to something as bloated in size or cost as the latest X-T3 or 4 models.

I can also now finally let go of the Q fantasy... 

No comments:

Post a Comment