Tuesday, September 6, 2022

Lesson Learned- Kinda, Sorta, In A Way...

So, I'm headed to the San Francisco version of the subway when I see this woman having a wee bit o' trouble navigating the busted up sidewalk in her wheelchair. I offer to help. "I can do it myself," she says rather curtly and succinctly. Okay... 

So... I'm seated in the subway car, the doors open and this man in a wheelchair is having a wee bit o' trouble navigating the gap between car and platform. Heh-heh, not this time... lesson learned (practically heaven sent)! Meanwhile, people are crowding on through the small leeway created by said wheelchair blocking the doorway. Nope, nope, ain't gonna do it; just made the very same mistake with a woman not ten minutes prior, I certainly ain't gonna repeat it with a man (read whatever sexist context you want). Finally, in frustration, I yell out, "Give the guy some room, will ya!" "Then why don't ya get up and help him," a woman yells back...

1 comment:

  1. I'm careful opening doors for people...way back in the 1970s, I opened a door for a woman and she actually slapped my hand(!) and called me a "pig." (Short for male chauvinist pig, which was still a current expression at the time.) I still hold doors for people, but I try to do it in a casual, natural way, and I do it for everyone.

    ReplyDelete