Friday, September 9, 2022

Return Of The Q


Living Large.             Photo: © Stan Banos


No, not the Hillary child sex, pizza parlor variety, not the JFK, Jr. reanimator type either, nope, not even this guy! Just the camera, the camera I've lusted for a good half dozen years. Had to wait that long just to get it at a somewhat reasonable price. And then I had to return the damn thing cause the sensor had a big ol' smudge on it like someone cleaned it while chomping away at their Big Mac. Fortunately, the store I bought it from in Japan is a reputable company- they accepted
and paid for the return. And a few weeks later notified me they had another at the same price point- I bit again, and... no regrets. Truth is, it has a coupla slight dust marks (even after an official Leica sensor cleaning), but for half the MSRP, ya can only complain so much, and they disappear (when even visible) after some minor dodging/cloning; the rest of the camera seems to work flawlessly, and it's cosmetically quite clean. I've seen Q's in this condition sell for a full grand more- and without the Leica cleansing. Can only imagine- Caveat Emptor! 

Did I need it that bad? Not really, not at all. The GR punches way above its weight and does most everything quite well and beyond. But the viewfinder is nice for events (leather fair coming late Sept) and, well... it's just such a goddamn sexy beast!

It was either a week's vacation or the camera- I usually always vote the former, but I had already visited moms in NYC, as well as the estranged wife in Portland this year. So I figured I'd go for the legacy camera while I still had the bucks. If Fujifilm made a high quality 28mm equivalent that wasn't ginormous (and expensive), I'd be spending a week in LA, right about... now! Currently, I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go- but a few more vacations, will no doubt be had, provided I'm still walking these earthly parameters the following year(s).

Was really uncertain about the photo above, wasn't sure about the composition (even though I worked it best I could under the circumstances). Just seemed contorted, unbalanced, not completely... there, but it's really grown on me for whatever reason. Perhaps my indecision reflects my feelings about the content- conflicted. A nice young couple in their prime enjoying life to the fullest- or a spoiled, well to do duo treating the world as their oyster without the slightest care or regard for anyone or anything around them? Will never know (for sure)... 

I'm also conflicted about the graffiti in the second shot- a likely epithet. But on such a gorgeous day, complete with sailboat, azure sea and sky, it loses whatever negative connotation it may have and reverts to its original state, making for one nicely minimalist and complementary, short poem.

Photo: © Stan Banos

No comments:

Post a Comment