Sunday, June 9, 2024

Get It While You Can

 Photos: © Stan Banos

I have a lotta respect for "street photography," although I hold the very term in disdain, frankly because it's so often reduced to such a highly restricted fragment of all it could and should be. Street photography is now almost synonymous with images that involve the somewhat odd juxtapositions (either complementary or contrasting) of people and/or other compositional elements, or images involving juxtapositions of various lighting scenarios (highlights and shadows- "The Alex Webb Effect"). I love both, tried and done both (the latter, admittedly, not as much). 

©SB

But I've always been appreciative of a more comprehensive viewpoint (aka- Lee Friedlander): portraits, landscapes, architectural and all things serious, humorous and in between; why encourage or limit anyone to a coupla in vogue, formulaic viewpoints? Yes, develop your style by all means, then see how many (visual) places it will take you. Nothing should be out of bounds, from the faces before you to the nooks and crannies at your very feet- and all points beyond... Yeah, I wanna try and grab the whole ball of wax, knowing full well I'll come up miserably short most times, but I wanna experience how many different facets of life I can successfully capture whenever and wherever I can... for as long as I got left.

2 comments:

  1. I still can't get my head around what motivates guys wanting to strut their stuff in public areas. I'm not a prude, it just seems out of place. Maybe that's what they get off on. Nude beaches, nudest camps, organized swingers parties all fine as far as I'm concerned. But just walking around downtown naked?? Don't get me wrong, if the local laws allow it then do what floats your boat I'm not going to try and stop you. But why??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Technically, not allowed, but tolerated especially in big crowd events- this was during "Bay To Breakers," half officially sponsored race, half drunken, outdoor, costume party (don't ask). Come to the conclusion over the year, that many (all?) are out and out exhibitionists (duh!). For instance, I was quite surprised... if you look very closely, there are little black squares on his neck and shoulders (Go Pro cameras) so that he can record "audience reaction!"

    ReplyDelete