Saturday, August 24, 2024

Fat Ass(ed) Batteries

Photo: © Stan Banos 


This is probably a known topic, that is, since it happened to me, it's also probably happened to others (numbers admittedly unknown) well before me. Don't ask me why, or exactly how- but somehow, someway my Wasabi batteries got... fat! After recharging I tried to put one in my X-T2 after removing the original Fujifilm battery and- no go!?! Oh, this must be the Leica Q battery?!? No, it's the right battery for the right camera, alright- so why the hell won't it fit?!? I'm putting it in the wrong way! No, I'm putting it in the right way- so what the hell is going on!?!? 

Yup, battery got fat- I'm gonna reckon some kinda internal, chemical reaction swelled the suckers all up. Maybe 'cause I don't use 'em all that much- don't know. But before I put two and two together, Stupid Stan decides to see just how tight a fit said battery is in the camera, if he can put it in at all. No dumb camera is gonna stop him- no, sir! Stan successfully manages to squeeze and finagle the battery in the compartment. And immediately upon so doing, it finally dawns on him that maybe, just maybe- he might not be able to get said swolled up battery outa said camera. And gosh, darn it- turns out I really am smart enough to realize just how stupid I really am! 

So... I try shaking the camera upside down- but that battery is now snug as... a big fat battery in a small assed hole. Sucker ain't budging- and now I'm thinking just how much money it's gonna cost me to send it on in to Fujifilm for repair battery removal surgery and then get scolded for using third party batteries. I'm an ever lovin' idiot!  I'm the ever lovin' idiot!

Instead of taking a knife to try and nudge it out, or fantasize throwing the camera with its obese parasite against any of four available walls to jar it loose (as would have been my more youthful solution), I decided to see if I could actually solve said problem in house, and proceeded to put on my Mr. Science/Mr. Fix It hat... 

With the widget pictured above, I carefully placed some crazy glue on the bottom part, and pressed it flush against the exposed battery surface, making sure there wasn't enough to ooze out the sides and damage the battery compartment interior. I then set the entire camera upside down in the fridge (and let the cold also do its contraction thing), crossed my fingers- and a few hours later... commenced to pulling! Slid out with only a moderate tug, and lemme tell ya- that sucker was wedged in there good! Always sumptin'...

5 comments:

  1. Happened to me too with some non-OEM batteries (not Wasabi) that I used to have. I found some interweb chatter and it's a common enough issue. There was some advice about using "quality" batteries, but really how can you find that out for sure? I don't know if it only happens to non-OEM batteries or if it happens to all of them eventually. I got lucky and was able to pull them out using my fingers, but using glue and pulling is as good a plan as any. The body on which I had this issue was weather-sealed and I wonder if such cameras are "snugger" than others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting hypothesis! Hardly the scientific poll, but I could find no discernible "battery compartment size differential" between my weather sealed XT and my non sealed GR and Q...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had this happen too. Not the stuck battery (bad Stan, bad!) but the swollen battery. Safely dispose of the battery ASAP. It's a swelling fire bomb waiting to happen!

    Eric

    ReplyDelete