Thursday, October 26, 2017

Not Bad!

Photo: © S. Banos

A bit back I mentioned I had taken one shot on vacation that I just didn't have the skills for in post. Well, it finally dawned on me (how quickly we forget 40+ years- should have seen it straight off) what was really needed... a B&W conversion! But did I have the chops to do a decent, convincing B&W version of a Fujifilm XT-1 file... on my lowly Elements 9? Well, it took a bit of doing and I'm sure someone with real skills on more advanced sofware could produce a slightly more au naturale version- that said, I'm kinda... pleased (and it even looks fairly film like)!  

Addendum: No, I'm most definitely not considering a new career as an interpretive landscape photographer! My main consideration in this photo was redirecting the viewer's eye from the dark tonal values on the lower right  back to the top of the image above the sign. The only way to do that was to bring out as much detail from the RAW file as possible to make that area compete- and I was damn lucky there was enough info there to make that happen! I'm sure some may think I took a tad too much liberty, but the alternative would have been an unevenly lit and featureless sky that would have sunk the image altogether. 

(PS- Please note: the TIFF version looks considerably better- Blogger flattens tonal values considerably.)

RAF File Copy: © S. Banos

No comments:

Post a Comment