Wednesday, March 13, 2019

75 And... STOP.


Actually, if (BIG if) all goes well, mediocre, as well as can possibly be expected, maybe 80- TOPS, then... pull the plug. Fast! Especially when you consider that Alzheimer's is going to TRIPLE by 2050. Like this author, my fear is not living long enough, it's... living too long- way past one's usefulness and general well being (was gonna throw in "happiness," but surely, you jest). People tell me I look pretty good for my age, and even if true, I know I'm slowly "dying" the proverbial death by a thousand cuts- that's what aging is, you don't: move as well, think as well, do anything as well... one-little-crack-in-the-wall-at-a-time. Until.

The author, however, goes on to state:

I have actively opposed legalizing euthanasia and physician-assisted suicide. People who want to die in one of these ways tend to suffer not from unremitting pain but from depression, hopelessness, and fear of losing their dignity and control.

Speak for yourself, bub. People deserve the right to make that decision for themselves, PERIOD- whether in abject pain, desperation or both, particularly at such an advanced age! Curiously, he never does address what his plan of action is if he does manage to survive past 75 in a seriously debilitated state. And I'm not even going to get into how vastly diminishing resources are going to come into play once Climate Change goes Full Frontal!

Me? I'm for keeping all options open- we'll see when and if we get there...

2 comments:

  1. In Canada assisted suicide is allowed. It's a slippery slope but I think the checks and balances are in place to insure caregivers who get feed up with one more diaper change just can't pull the plug. Personally I do what I can to maintain my heath, both physical and mental. I'm turning 65 soon and like you, people just don't believe I'm that old. Certainly isn't due to clean living!

    There are lots of ways to take ones own life. However they usually cause other issues for those left behind. Personally when the time comes that I feel I have an extremely diminished quality of life I will just stop eating. That's what my 90 year old father in law just did. He lead a great and active life. When he felt he could no longer contribute he checked out. Good for him! We all miss him but he went out on his terms. I figure I have 15 years of top quality life left before the wheels start to get squeaky. I plan on living it to the fullest. Like my father said before he died, when the parties over, it's over. Turn out the lights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "... just stop eating."

    Now that's pretty impressive- and gutsy! But that's assuming one still has all their faculties, one of the major challenges and questions in and of itself... Terminal cancer is a freakin' godsend next to any form of dementia.

    ReplyDelete