Monday, July 6, 2020

In Stitches


Love that pastel Green (and all the miscellaneous frames, windows and geometric shapes)!   
Photo: © Stan Banos

This is a reshoot of the panoramic I mentioned a while back that did not stitch together properly. Truth be told, this one also had a a few minor aberrations- which I cleaned up with Mr. Clone. Perhaps it's: a) the outdated software (Elements 9), or b) I simply needed to take yet more frames, but... a) I do want to keep it as in house as possible,* and b) I didn't want to set records for challenging oncoming traffic in what I had rather mistakenly assumed was a rather traffic free street. 

I must say I'm rather pleased to now have a coupla successful panoramics courtesy of my GR under my belt. I don't expect a whole series, but I now have the confidence to actually do them should the opportunity arise- if I can remember that they are, in fact, a viable option. When I had my Widelux... I had to get into a whole 'nother frame of mind, a very different mindset to see and create panoramics- you even had to hold that camera differently, lest your fingers appear in the frame! But when I go out with the GR, I can see and handle 2:3, 3:4 and 1:1 aspect ratios simultaneously, and I think I can now add panoramic to the mix simply because... they can all be done with the same camera. Yeah, that simple fact makes it easier for my mind to deal with all the various, competing formats. 

Of course, there is a major drawback: crowd scenes are out for obvious reasons. You can only include people (and other moving objects) if they're relatively static and few in number- you simply must keep tabs on their location (harder than it sounds), as you proceed from interlocking frame to interlocking frame... As a small plus, you retain all camera/exposure controls and functions as opposed to the three shutter speeds of a Widelux!

All said and done- a nice and much welcomed tool (however specialized and/or limited) that can come through now and then to save the day...
  
* I tried out a coupla other photo editing programs earlier in the pandemic (Wow- does that ever feel like eons ago, when we all thought... R&R for two weeks, then back to usual!) and after a few half hearted attempts at reinventing the wheel, pulled a quick and hasty retreat back to the welcoming womb.

No comments:

Post a Comment