Monday, January 22, 2024

Strangers Amongst Us

Photo: © Stan Banos

Past coupla years I've been going to this annual "Pro-Life" protest held in (of all places)... San Francisco. Yeah, I guess they know they can't get away with a Pro Trump rally here, so this is a pretty good thumb in the eye nonetheless, as they pull in on their chartered buses. I've said what I've had to say on this already: politically, morally, legally; it's one where there's truly no right or wrong, far as I'm concerned- exactly why it should be left to the determination of the person it concerns most.

Photographically, there's ample subject matter here- but I'm damn lucky if I can even get one keeper. They're definitely a different breed than the usual demonstrations I photograph (and personally relate to), and they present a much different visual style and context as well! One thing is that many of these people smile when you attempt a photograph, which instantly negates anything you attempt. I don't think my particular visual and photographic style jives with this crowd. Perhaps individual B&W portraits is more the order of the day here, although I have no real incentive or inspiration to do that at the moment- much as I had none to engage these good folk (I mean that earnestly) in conversation, as I had the previous year (perhaps it was the weather)...

No comments:

Post a Comment